The word ‘Golconda’ originated from Golla Konda which stands for Shepherd’s Hill in Telugu. Golconda Fort was first constructed as a mud fort by the rulers of Kakatiya Dynasty in the 13th century. The fort was rebuilt and strengthened by Pratapa Rudra of the Kakatiyas. It was further strengthened by the Musunuri Nayaks, who defeated the Tughlaq army occupying Warangal. The fort was ceded to the Bahmani Sultanate as part of the treaty in 1364. It was later re-built with granite by initial Qutub Shahi kings, which took about 62 years to complete. Golconda Fort was under the control of Qutub Shahis from 1518 AD to 1687 AD. The fort finally fell into ruins after the siege of Mughal Empire under Aurangzeb in 1687.
Average Rating: 3.0 out of 5 (1 votes)